The windshield of a car is one of the elements most important protection, so it needs to be replaced if it has any cracks or damage no matter how small it is. It takes two people to remove the old windshield and install a new glass, working from inside and outside the car. It is necessary to hold the frame of the windscreen with a good flexible rubber packaging, so that the packaging must be changed if it is dry, cracked or damaged. Follow these tips for help.
- Disconnect the cleaners, rear view mirror, and any other objects near the windscreen glass. Remove the screws or hooks on the cleaners and unscrew the mirror. Cover heating vents to protect them from glass fragments.
- Check the packaging that seals the glass to the frame. It must be changed if it is cracked or hardened. Take it out by putting a knife into the rubber (do not stick to the glass) and sliding the knife along the entire edge. If the packaging is OK, stick a wooden stick along the outer edge to break the seal between the rubber and the frame, so that you can save it.
- Remove the glass by pushing it from inside the car. Push gently (do not kick it) with your feet and with the stick along the top of the glass. Have a second person outside grip the glass.
- Remove the old (if reusable) gasket from the old glass and place it on the new windshield, making sure that the thicker and heavier edge goes along the inside of the glass. If the packaging is new, remove the seal and allow it to warm up under the sun before installing.
- It cleans rust and grime from window frame and board. Cover the groove of the windshield gasket with petroleum jelly and insert a nylon cord throughout the entire package. Use sufficient cord and center so that both edges of the cord protrude at least 2 feet (60 cm) from the lower center of the package.
- Place the new glass in the windshield frame from the outside of the car, but place the loose edges of the cord inside the car. Take one of the edges of the cord from the inside and gently pull it out of the package to place your inner lip in place. Have your assistant push the rubber to hold it in place.
- Clean any trace of petroleum jelly left outside the frame. Reinstall the mirror and windshield wiper.