After years of service, a fuel pump lost pressure, a current supply irregular fuel flow or lose. In such cases, it must be replaced. The electric fuel pumps, the most common units in use, come in different designs and services pressure depending on the vehicle model and engine size. The facility also varies: some vehicles mounted units outside the fuel tank; some in the tank provide easy access to replace them, while others require lowering the tank. Whatever model of your vehicle, follow these simple steps to replace the fuel pump.
You will need
- A cat
- 2 cats standing
- A Phillips screwdriver
- A set of keys
- A ratchet
- A set of connectors
- A wrench
- A long punch
- A hammer
- Park your vehicle on a level surface in a safe place with enough room in the back of your car surface.
- Releases pressure from the fuel system. If you do not know how to do it properly, remove the pump fuse panel or fuse box, located under the dash or in the engine compartment.
- Turn the engine until it stops from lack of fuel. Reinstall the fuse and disconnect the black negative battery cable.
- Locate the fuel pump. If you have a pump in the tank, see if you can access through the door under the rear seat or the trunk. You will need to remove the seat and carpet to locate this door. Unscrew the door using a Phillips screwdriver or a ratchet and a socket. Go to step 7.
- Raise the rear of the vehicle with a jack and lay it carefully on cats feet, if you have a pump offline. To remove it, follow the fuel lines coming from the tank to locate the bomb. Use a wrench to support and a pipe wrench to unscrew the nut that holds it and prevent damage to the duct. Remove the pump and install the new drive in place. Lower the vehicle and connect the black battery cable.
- If you have a pump inside the tank without access through the door, lifts the rear of the vehicle with a jack and lay it carefully on cats feet. Remove the straps that hold the tank in place using a ratchet. You must hold a cat to decrease slowly after the straps have been removed.
- Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the fuel lines connected to the locking cam holding unit. You can use a special tool to cam or a long punch and a light hammer to rotate the locking tabs counterclockwise to clockwise.
- Lift the tank cam takingcare not to lose the O ring under the cam. The fuel tank and pump are fastened to the door of the cam. Disconnect the pump and install the new. Reisntala sending unit blocks assembled fuel cam. Reinstall the tank, lower the vehicle and connect the black battery cable. If you’ve worked through the gateway, install the cover and connect the black battery cable.
Tips and Warnings
- If you need to locate or identify the components, consult with the service manual of your vehicle. You can buy it at most auto parts stores.